Monday, March 29, 2010

A Friend

Ok, over the past couple of years, in my bible studies, quiet times, and at church, one theme has stood out to me. I'm sure it's always been there and I've just been too dense to really comprehend it or maybe God has really just spoken to me about this because he knows it's what I need. Anyway, it is the idea that Jesus is a "friend". Why has this been such a difficult concept for me to grasp over the years? Why hasn't it hit me in the face the way it has in the past couple of years? I have no idea. Like I said, it's probably been told to me over and over for my entire life,(Ex. hymn: "What a Friend we Have in Jesus" DUH!) but just lately it seems that every where I turn, there is something there about it. Today, I was looking at this website and it had Christian jewelry. There was a necklace and the title was "Friend". I clicked on it thinking it might be something that you would give to a friend that is in a bible study with you or shares your beliefs. Who knows? Anyway, it is a necklace that is an ancient Greek monogram of "Jesus". It comes with this poem/scripture attached.

'I rule the heavens,

I made the earth

yet I stopped in wonder

to dance at your birth

I hung the stars

I placed the moon

yet I look forward

to long talks with you

I am your Healer

comfort I send

Redeemer,

Messiah,

yet...I call You Friend.

'John 15:13-15, Proverbs 18:24



And BAM, here it is again. I love thinking of Jesus as a "friend". Who better, right? I love thinking of Jesus "dancing at my birth". What a crazy-wonderful image. I know that, as children, we are taught this, but it hasn't been until I had this epiphany, at a Beth Moore bible study, that he really is a friend and that I should talk to him that way. This has changed me and has changed the way I pray and seriously the way I think of him. I've always prayed and loved Jesus, but when you stop and think of him and talk to him as a friend, it completely changes your relationship with him. How elementary, I know. This just proves how much room for growth exists in my world. I might have to order myself this necklaces. Here's a pic.


1 comment:

Laura said...

Aw, I like this post! When you (Lord willing!) get to start staying home with your boys, you will definitely start to see him as a friend. He'll often be the only one you can carry on a real conversation with on crazy days! What an open and honest post...love it!