Monday, October 20, 2008

My baby's not a baby anymore!





Ok, warning!!!! This blog is a little boring. I am writing it more for me so that I can remember this the next time around. This is kind of bitter sweet. You want your kids to grow and do more things, but when they do, you want them to stop and stay little. Or, at least I do. Also, I am such a worrier. I always worry about if I am doing what's right for Jarrett. Being a new mom and not having a clue, I didn't know when Jarrett should no longer take a bottle. So, the week before he turned one, when my sitter said that he wouldn't be taking bottles over there anymore, I freaked out. I said, "I don't know if he's ready for that." Well, come to find out, he was. He never even skipped a beat and did fine. We continued to do a bottle at night and in the morning. Well, I was visiting with a friend that got "in trouble" by her doctor because her twins were still taking bottles and they are about 8 months older than Jarrett. So, of course I start planning on how to ween him from the two bottles that he still takes. I have done research and read about kids that cry and cry and want the bottle. Some parents are still giving their 3 year old a bottle. What do I do??? I am sure that I was thinking about this a little more than a normal person should. Well, last week, one morning, he woke up and refused to take his bottle. I tried several times and he kept pushing it away and shaking his head no. So, I finally figured it out. He was done with the morning bottle. Now, I switched to being worried about the night bottle. We go to the doctor in a couple of weeks. Me, being the people pleaser that I am, did not want Dr. Klepper to "get on to me." :) I am thinking this is going to be something traumatic for Jarrett because that is what the internet said. (I've got to quit believing everything I read.) Well, we decided to wait on Friday night to see when he would wake up to take his bottle. Guess what! He didn't. He slept until 7, which is way late for him. And he has done that the two nights since. So, apparently, those bottles were more for me than him. Now, I am glad that I don't have to wash bottles anymore, but sad that he is too big for a bottle. What's next, driving??? No, I think we should tackle the passy first. Any suggestions???








We took the kids to take the silly old timey pics in the mall the other day. Here are a couple of them.

2 comments:

kristen lewis said...

You sound just like me. I tend to grieve the passing of each stage- starting with the belly button cord falling off. It just goes too quickly! I am glad that transitioning off the bottle went so well for you. Now if only I could master potty training- I would not grieve the end of diapers!

Mika said...

Oh, I am already worrying about diapers. I don't think they let Jarrett go to kindergarden in diapers. Y'all will get it soon and you can give me all of your tips on potty training a boy.